The Church of Ireland has launched a new Daily Worship app which brings content from the Book of Common Prayer and the Bible to your smartphone by presenting their content in one place, including readings and liturgies for each day of the year.
Luke Hawkins, Chaplain of Wilson’s Hospital School has created this series of seven studies from the book of Daniel. They are a wonderful reminder that God is in control in the midst of chaos and uncertainty.
- ‘The Advent Puppet Calendar App was created to provide families a Christian puppet advent calendar. The advent puppet calendar app has been designed to provide you and the family with a digital Christian advent calendar including daily video clips of the puppets explaining the truth behind Christmas, the nativity and other aspects of the Christian message.’ (https://thatadventpuppetapp.
- ‘Wandering Wise Men’ – ‘This is a great Christian tradition that is an alternative to “Elf on the Shelf.”’ (https://meaningfulmama.com/
- ‘The Kindness Elves’ – Another alternative to Elf on the Shelf, encouraging children to engage in acts of kindness during this season. (https://
theimaginationtreestore.com/) pages/thekindnesselves?fbclid= IwAR33WPLYz8rnlFZrcDgiHlU3oaAv amsFWC3-wyNBA64vmMAeHsNR1B8_ Yp4
- ‘Muddy Church Adventure’ – a resource which offers activities and ideas for reflecting on the Christmas story outdoors as well as indoors. (https://www.muddychurch.co.
- ‘Muddy Church Jesse Tree’ – a resource for making a Jesse Tree as a family from everyday objects, including activities and suggesting things to collect outdoors. (https://www.muddychurch.co.
- ‘The Bible Verse Advent Countdown’ – a type of Advent calendar, featuring Bible verses counting down to Christmas. It is all there, just to be printed. (https://happyhomefairy.com/
- ‘Flexagon Advent Calendar’ – ‘Print and fold this amazing Advent calendar then flex to find each day’s reading.’ (https://reflectionary.org/
2020/11/09/flexagon-advent-) calendar/?fbclid= IwAR1fzPaYNhX5NpOQ8SajvTBcw4UB LGImFO0e8umZuRQCn_xa- yyBW411kIk
- ‘Paper City Nativity Scene’ – Free, printable templates to make a nativity scene with just paper. (http://madebyjoel.com/2013/
- Homemade Advent Wreaths – Many of our churches use Advent wreaths and candles. Why not make one at home as a focus for prayer and reflection, with activities – you could use paper/craft materials, plasticine/clay/Playdough, or even traditional foliage! Have a look at the photo below, and find prayers which you can use here: http://www.cm.ireland.
anglican.org/wp-content/. uploads/2020/11/ AdventWreathPrayers.pdf
We have compiled some simple ideas for families, pods, and Sunday Clubs, always with prompts for the wider parish to be involved so people stay connected with the full life of the Church. Much of our focus in this edition is outdoors, encouraging faith in everyday life. Click HERE to download the Autumn newsletter
At the time of writing on the 12th March, the Covid -19 virus has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation. That means that it has spread across the world and is impacting more than one hundred countries. I am writing to assure you that we in the Church of Ireland are taking this virus seriously and are seeking to limit its spread as part of civic society in Ireland. Already guidelines have been issued to reduce physical contact, by not shaking hands and by not receiving wine at Holy Communion. We are also asked not to gather indoors with more than one hundred people. Most of our church services have less than that threshold and will continue until directed otherwise. Our rectors have only limited access to hospitals and nursing homes. Schools have also been closed as from the above date. As the impact of the virus is likely to spread the guidelines will probably be extended. This will be done on a national basis following the advise of the HSE.
In the meanwhile we can support one another by keeping in touch by phone and online. By following the advice to wash our hands regularly and to limit unnecessary physical contact especially if we feel unwell. We are in the season of Lent a time of self discipline and I would ask you to exercise self discipline to allay the effects of this virus The Church of Ireland website offers a whole range of resources to help us keep our spiritual discipline. I offer this pray which is on the website:
Almighty and All-Loving God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We pray to you through Christ the Healer,
for those who suffer from the Covid-19 virus in Ireland and across the world.
We pray too for those who reach out to those who mourn those who have
died as a result of this disease.
Give wisdom to policy makers, skill to health care professionals and researchers;
comfort everyone in distress and give a sense of calm in these days of uncertainty and fear.
We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord,
who showed compassion to the outcast, and accepted the rejected,
love to those when no love was shown. Amen
‘WALK WITH ME is a tool for churches and organisations with a passion to see young people stepping closer to Jesus.
It enables them to support young people, aged 14+, to meet in ones or twos with a committed Christian for an hour every couple of weeks to catch up, discuss the bible, and pray.’ An app as well as online and local support will be provided to help mentors and young people.
If you would be interested in learning more about WALK WITH ME, particularly if you would like to be part of it as a mentor or participant, please contact Damian on firstname.lastname@example.org or check out walkwithmejourneys.org.
Download the Step by Step guide and PowerPoint presentation setting out how it is hoped WALK WITH ME will work, along with a sample postcard to invite people to be involved. If you would like hard copies of these, they are available in a starter pack – let Damian know if you would like to receive one.
World renowned youth minister and professor Ken Moser speaking to a gathering of volunteer youth and children’s leaders in the Bush Hotel, Carrick-on-Shannon.
Mrs Sarah Taylor
20A Market Street,
T: + 353 49 5559954
F: + 353 49 5559957